Home
Galleries
Info
Links
Contact
 
Scotland > Historic Properties > Glen O Dee 9Sept97 141036jhp
This gallery has photographs of Scottish Castles and Fortresses, Stately Homes and Gardens, old churches or kirks and includes most of the following:
Auchindoir Church; Auchindoun Castle; Balmoral Castle; Balvenie Castle; Bass of Inverurie; Bellabeg Motte; Braemar Castle; Brodie Castle; Castle Fraser; Corgarff Castle; Corrichie Monument; Corse O’Neil Castle; Craigellachie Bridge; Crathes Castle; Crathie Kirk; Dalgetie Castle; Deer Abbey; Drum Castle; Duff House; Duffus Castle; Dunnideer; Dunnottar Castle; Elgin Cathedral; Esslemont Castle; Fasque House; Fetternear House; Findlater; Fordyce; Fyvie Castle; Gairnshiel Bridge; Glenbuchat Castle; Haddo House; Hallforest Castle; Huntly Castle; Inchdrewer Castle; Invercauld Bridge O’Dee; Kildrummy Castle; Kincardine O’Neil Kirk; Kindrochit Castle; Kinloss Abbey; Kinneff Church; Knock Castle; Leith Hall; Mar Lodge; Marnoch Kirkyard; Mid Mar Kirk; Monymusk Kirk; Peel of Lumphanan; Pitmedden Gardens; Pluscarden Priory or Abbey; Ruthven Barracks; Slains Castle; Tolquhon Castle; Tullich Kirk; Fort George;
Glen O Dee 9Sept97 141036jhp 
 Banchory Scotland hospital Glen O’Dee Nordrach-on-Dee closed tower granite sanatorium TB in this Aberdeenshire town some 18 miles west of Aberdeen in North East Scotland on the River Dee with this photo taken in September, 1997 just before it officially closed down. The town has always been a main visitor centre either for day trippers from Aberdeen or the usual flow of coaches and other visitors heading from Aberdeen westwards along Royal Deeside to Braemar and from there south to Perth or north to Inverness. It is also offers a very scenic route southwards over the Cairn O’Mount to Mearns. The river is a famous salmon fishing water which flows from the Cairngorms eastwards into the North Sea at Aberdeen. A colourful summer display and memorial Park is passed on the left hand side after leaving the town centre, it is adjacent to the start of the Golf Course and to the south is the distinct hilline of Scolty Hill with its Memorial Tower.

The Glen O’Dee was sadly burnt to the ground in 2016 owing to an act of arson by teenagers. It is promised by the current owners/developers that this beautiful building would be restored. It was to have been converted into flats having fallen into disuse as a hospital given the costs of maintenance, H&S, Fire Regulations and of course the eradication of TB generally by modern medical advances. At the time of the fire it was in a very sorry state of disrepair. Originally opened in 1900 by Dr Lawson of Banchory as one of the earliest commercial sanatorium’s and with a design based on a German model, with a central granite tower, but mainly wooden construction with all rooms facing south for the sun while at the rear were the corridors and service rooms. It treated TB patients, including w. Somerset Maugham, based upon the pine forest air and plenty of sunshine idea. It closed in 1928, was later a luxury hotel, commandeered by the Army during WW2, in 1948 the Red Cross used it for treatment of ex-servicemen and women with TB, had a short-lived revival during the 60’s Typhoid outbreak in Aberdeen and in 1955 became a convalescent home under the new NHS until it closed in 1998 when a hospital facility in modern purpose buildings was constructed. 
 Keywords: Scotland, Scottish, Grampian, Aberdeenshire, Kincardineshire, Banchory, Town, River, Dee, Royal, Deeside, Glen O’Dee, Nordrach, Nordrach-on-Dee, sanatorium, convalescent, hotel, landscape, upright, empty, W. Somerset Maugham, writer, sufferer, hospital, TB, tuberculosis, typhoid, treatment, fresh air, sunshine, pine trees, landscape, 9th, September, autumn, closure, derelict, arson, burnt, wilful fire raising, destroyed, silver birch, trees, wooden, granite, tower, verandas, grass, colours, colors, colourful, colorful, red, yellow, blue, white, Bronica ETRSi, 40mm, polarised, Fuji, Velvia, transparency, 120, 645 format, digital, photograph, photo, slide film, scanned, scan, 1997
© Jim Henderson
back one image forward one image

Photographer: Jim Henderson
Collection: Historic Properties
Filename:
Glen O Dee 9Sept97 141036jhp
Upload Date: Wednesday, June 28, 2017
Photo Size: 9.0 MB; 3709x5075 pixels
Preview:
  comp 424 x 580

Caption:

Banchory Scotland hospital Glen O’Dee Nordrach-on-Dee closed tower granite sanatorium

TB in this Aberdeenshire town some 18 miles west of Aberdeen in North East Scotland on the River Dee with this photo taken in September, 1997 just before it officially closed down. The town has always been a main visitor centre either for day trippers from Aberdeen or the usual flow of coaches and other visitors heading from Aberdeen westwards along Royal Deeside to Braemar and from there south to Perth or north to Inverness. It is also offers a very scenic route southwards over the Cairn O’Mount to Mearns. The river is a famous salmon fishing water which flows from the Cairngorms eastwards into the North Sea at Aberdeen. A colourful summer display and memorial Park is passed on the left hand side after leaving the town centre, it is adjacent to the start of the Golf Course and to the south is the distinct hilline of Scolty Hill with its Memorial Tower.

The Glen O’Dee was sadly burnt to the ground in 2016 owing to an act of arson by teenagers. It is promised by the current owners/developers that this beautiful building would be restored. It was to have been converted into flats having fallen into disuse as a hospital given the costs of maintenance, H&S, Fire Regulations and of course the eradication of TB generally by modern medical advances. At the time of the fire it was in a very sorry state of disrepair. Originally opened in 1900 by Dr Lawson of Banchory as one of the earliest commercial sanatorium’s and with a design based on a German model, with a central granite tower, but mainly wooden construction with all rooms facing south for the sun while at the rear were the corridors and service rooms. It treated TB patients, including w. Somerset Maugham, based upon the pine forest air and plenty of sunshine idea. It closed in 1928, was later a luxury hotel, commandeered by the Army during WW2, in 1948 the Red Cross used it for treatment of ex-servicemen and women with TB, had a short-lived revival during the 60’s Typhoid outbreak in Aberdeen and in 1955 became a convalescent home under the new NHS until it closed in 1998 when a hospital facility in modern purpose buildings was constructed.
Keywords: Scotland, Scottish, Grampian, Aberdeenshire, Kincardineshire, Banchory, Town, River, Dee, Royal, Deeside, Glen ODee, Nordrach, Nordrach-on-Dee, sanatorium, convalescent, hotel, landscape, upright, empty, W. Somerset Maugham, writer, sufferer, hospital, TB, tuberculosis, typhoid, treatment, fresh air, sunshine, pine trees, landscape, 9th, September, autumn, closure, derelict, arson, burnt, wilful fire raising, destroyed, silver birch, trees, wooden, granite, tower, verandas, grass, colours, colors, colourful, colorful, red, yellow, blue, white, Bronica ETRSi, 40mm, polarised, Fuji, Velvia, transparency, 120, 645 format, digital, photograph, photo, slide film, scanned, scan, 1997
 


 

Copyright © Crooktree Images 2010 - photographs by Jim Henderson Sitemap